Tuesday, February 22, 2005

CREDITWRENCH loses a "student"

After my blog was exposed to numerous newsgroups, I received a number of emails from members who frequently read the postings in those groups. Some were simply complainers, which I promptly deleted, others were quite interesting. One particular email was from a woman who said she would allow me to share this, providing I didn't make any personal information known, which of course I won't. We've exchanged numerous emails since then, and she's become an avid reader of my blog.

Her initial email began that she was completely unfamiliar with all of the information contained in my blog. By that she meant she was unaware that people had certain rights relative to collectors.

In subsequent correspondence I discovered that this womans husband passed away unexpectedly about 6 months ago; they had no insurance. She has 2 small children, a mortgage, car payments, etc., and she has been unable to keep up with many of her bills, some of which have gone into collections. She has been having a great deal of difficulty figuring out what to do in light on the ever increasing phone calls she receives.

If there is some good from this, it's that she has some equity in her home. Her father provided some very good advice to her to maintain her house payments, and that she should sell her current home. That way she could find something more in line with her income, and use the equity to pay her obligations. I expressed to her that I supported her father's position, but her main concern continued to be that she was going to be sued in the meantime.

To make an already long story short, I assured her that if she would immediately provide me with the names and numbers of everyone who has been calling her, and any other information I requested, that I would be able to get them to stop calling and that she would not be sued. Her next question of course was what I would charge her. I told her she could not afford what I would charge, but that I would do it for free under two conditions:
  1. She would satisfy the the full amount of any settlements that I negotiated for her.
  2. At some point in time, when she was in a position to do so, she would donate $100 to the St. Jude Childrens Hospital.

She agreed.

Some days are just great!






<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?